Saturday, May 19, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival Spring 2012

I think Prairie compass is the quilt I'm most proud of making. It was a Block of the Month offered by Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. It was designed by Nancy Rink. I started this rather late and never actually kept up with each month's directions. I hand appliqued and machine pieced it. The Mariner's Compass was done using paper piecing. I decided to hand quilt the entire thing. You can't see it in this picture but I hand quilted 1/4 inch parallel lines throughout the entire body of the quilt. I used a stencil and hand quilted feathers throughout the borders. It took me close to 5 years to complete this quilt from start to finish.

Here's a close up of the hand quilting. I was so used to watching TV while hand quilting that it actually took me awhile to get used to not having it around anymore! My cat would sit under it whenever I took it out and have a nice warm nap. I bet he misses it too!

30 comments:

  1. That is absolutely stunning, Rosemary. You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, thank you so much! So nice to hear!

      Delete
    2. Rosemary, Your quilt is beautiful! I would be proud too! What patience - 5 years from beginning to finish!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Joanie! I would look forward to relaxing and hand quilting after work. I really enjoyed working on it.

      Delete
  2. It looks fantastic! I really need to take a hand applique class... I keep looking at it and being stunned by it :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen it in person. The pictures don't do justice to the amazing hand quilting. It's a beauty, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is fabulous! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! Your hand quilting looks fantastic! Great work, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is a lovely traditional pattern!


    Check out my blog if you can...

    Margaret Gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I will definitely check out your blog!

      Delete
  7. That is a beautiful quilt. I love the colours...actually, I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Rosemary I can see why you are proud of this quilt it is just stunning.
    Cheers Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I would be proud of this beauty too! The applique is wonderful and the hand quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice post thanks for sharing...looking for to visit more...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job, has such an antique feel. Love the hand quilting, 1/4" apart -amazing (I thought 1/2 inch was impressive).

    Come see my entries 64 (repro. applique) and 85 (antique appliques).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check out your entries. Thanks, Sandie!!

      Delete
  12. WOW! I'm actually more impressed by the hand applique than the hand quilting. :) This is a gorgeous and impressive quilt. You love it all the more when you've spent so much time and dedication making it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! You're so right. I spent hours working on it and felt sort of bad when I was done! But I am glad it's finished!!

      Delete
  13. That is such a beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Quilting State Fair Sampler

 I'm ready to quilt my son and future daughter-in-law's quilt. It's so big that I loaded it in 2 steps. This is how it looks aft...