Sunday, November 18, 2012

FNSI November

I seemed to work on a variety of projects this past Friday night (and during the day as well!) I had cut all my pieces to finish the Blogger's BOM quilt top. I did not cut the piano key border yet. I'm waiting until the top is assembled and I can get the final dimensions. However, since this quilt is on point, I had to start sewing from one corner. Here's a picture of one of those corners. I really like it so far! This quilt is a departure from my usual choices. The sashing has a vibrant pattern. I'm used to solid sashings that are on the quiet side. I rarely use orange but I really like the orange corner stones. I have the next row almost done but it's still in pieces. More to come!

I also worked on some FMQ. I started the challenge for this month. I need more practice so I will show you photos when there is more to see! This month the challenge is swirls. They look so easy yet so difficult to keep your lines nice and rounded.



I also worked on my Christmas Bear by practicing some swirls in the background. I liked them much better than my practice piece. My little bear is almost done. I just have his body and face yet to quilt. My binding is all cut. I can't wait to have him finished. He'll be adorable to hang this Christmas season.

I also did a little sewing on my Dresden Plates. I'm on block #6 out of 12. Slow but steady!

And that's my Friday Night Sew In recap!

Hope you are all having a great weekend. Can't believe Thanksgiving is in just a few days! I'll be baking the night before. We're going to my mom and dad's for dinner. My brother and his family will not be joining us this year. He lives in upstate NY and is about 8 hours away by car. We'll all miss them.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely, productive FNSI!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I sort of sewed all afternoon and into the evening but I figured it still counts!

      Delete
  2. Very productive indeed! Love your corner piece and the FMQ swirls looks great from here! What sort of thread do you use for your FMQ?

    Look forward to seeing your finished Little Bear and Dresden Plates progress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like everything! I wasn't sure about those orange corner stones but I think I like it! I always use Aurifil Mako 50 weight for top thread and Superior's Bottom Line for the bobbin which I think is 40 weight. This combination seems to work best for me and my machine. I have a Baby Lock Quest. The FMQ feels smoother with this combination of threads. I'm hand sewing down the binding on the bear. He's almost done!!

      Delete
  3. Your solid setting looks good with that vibrant sashing. I think you'll be happy with that choice as the quilt progresses. Very nice swirls too. And ... I think your adorable bear is too cute. :)
    Kim / SeeingStars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! Although a departure for me, I think I do like the look of the Blogger's BOM so far. Maybe I'll venture out of my comfort zone more often now!

      Delete

Quilting State Fair Sampler

 I'm ready to quilt my son and future daughter-in-law's quilt. It's so big that I loaded it in 2 steps. This is how it looks aft...