Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Baking up a Cathedral Window!

 
I've been diligently quilting the Puzzle Box Quilt. I'm about halfway through machine quilting the blocks.  I'm making progress but I wanted to actually make something. I needed a project that wouldn't take up too much time. I miss that feeling of satisfaction you get when you finish a project. 

I found the directions for the Cathedral Window Pincushion on the Moda Bakeshop site. I've always loved the way Cathedral Window blocks look. I've seen a few quilts made of these blocks and they look so work intensive! I thought making one block and making it into a pin cushion would be a nice way to try out the technique associated with this block.

The directions are not very difficult. There are so many pictures to guide you through the process. I loved the tutorial. There are a few things I would change but I'm pleased with the results. I decided to use scraps from my leftover Asian fabrics. I thought the bright colors would remind me of spring. (Much needed right about now!)

 
Here's the back! I think the hardest part was sewing that button! The cushion was stuffed and thick which made it difficult to sew into the back. I needed some elbow grease but I got it done!

Might be looking for another little project! Any suggestions??




4 comments:

  1. Cutest pincushion--I had started a Cathedral Window yrs ago, but just too many layers for my hands to sew through...are you up for the x and plus block? I REALLY, really want to do one--lotsa pieces, but I love the finished look...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute block but I don't think I'd want to make a whole quilt of these. So thick and so much to do! I love the x and plus quilts! Is it really a lot of pieces??

      Delete
  2. Great idea to test out a block by making a pincushion. It's quite elegant with the fabrics you chose, and the fancy button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun to make. It didn't take very long. I think it would make a nice gift.

      Delete

Alaska Quilt Top

 I just finished sewing the last row onto my Alaska quilt top. I really love this quilt! It measures 49.5" square. The pattern is so pr...