Saturday, December 14, 2013

Microwave Bowl Cozy Tutorial

 
Our quilt guild gave little demonstrations at our last meeting. I liked the microwave bowl cozy. I came home and googled it. The directions were similar but I added an extra step.
 
 


You start out by cutting fabric into two 9 inch squares. I used the same fabric but you can use two different ones if you like. You should also cut batting about 8 inches square. Do not use heat resistant batting. I used 80/20 cotton/polyester. I have a ton of scraps left from larger projects.



 Mark lines diagonally to each corner. Also mark lines horizontally and vertically between the diagonals halfway through each side. Then, you just sew each line!



The horizontal and vertical lines are pleated and sewn as darts. You can make them wider which will give you a deeper bowl. I made mine about 5/8 inch wide at the top and about 2 1/2 inches long. You do the same to both sides.

 
You sew the two sides together, right sides together. Leave a 4 inch opening for turning inside out. I clipped the corners and used my Purple Thang to get nice sharp corners.I also top stitched about 1/4 inch all around which also closed up the opening for turning around.  I also sewed over the horizontal and vertical lines in the center of the bowl. I felt it helped the bowl sit up better by making it just a little sturdier.

 
I've made 2 so far! I think they're great for Christmas. Fast, fun and easy!

17 comments:

  1. I have made a couple of these. I have a pattern for 3 different sizes and 2 different shapes...one with square corners and one with rounded corners. They are fun and easy...makes a quick gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know this one. Will have to look for the other patterns. Nice to make a quick gift! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Hi Rosemary, those microwave cozy bowls are awesome. It it always so much fun to make a new project that uses up small pieces of batting and fabric. Such a practical thoughtful gift. Looks like I will be sewing some of these. Thanks tons for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So quick and easy to make! Love stuff like this! Thanks for visiting my blog!!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to give this a try - many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I didn't come up with the pattern but I love it too! I changed it a tiny bit, hopefully for the better!

      Delete
  5. Hi Rosemary, I have Easy Quilt 6 software (getting 7 for Christmas lol) I design my quilts using the software, write the instructions in a word document and then convert to PDF. I can transfer images of the quilt and blocks from EQ6 to the word document. The PDF file can be loaded to Craftsy website and sold via paypal.
    Wishing you a safe and happy Christmas
    Cheers Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great program! I plan on looking into that. Thanks for letting me know. Have a wonderful holiday! Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Do these bowls serve as hot pads that are bowl shaped? :) Surely you don't put food in them. I always burn my fingers on hot dishes that have been in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Joanie. You just put the bowl/dish with food to be heated in microwave. They come in quite handy!

      Delete
  7. It's best to use 100% cotton fabric, 100% cotton batting and 100% cotton thread. Better to be safe than sorry. A friend has had 3 bowl cozies catch on fire. There are tips online about testing fabric to see if it is cotton or poly. Using an inch at top for darts does give a good fit to bowls. Nice tutorial.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I didn't know about using cotton only. I was told not to use any heat resistant batting but that polyester was fine. I'll have to be careful when I use mine. Thanks for the great advice!

      Delete
  8. Have made at least 100 for Christmas this year, but people still look at them and ask what is it?, I need a cute poem or explaination for them any out there? Judithrich@att.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a little odd looking but so practical! I haven't seen any poem but if I do, I'll let you know! Thanks for leaving a comment. Merry Christmas!!

      Delete
  9. Typically, the larger the interior capacity, the larger the overall physical dimensions, with the exception being microwaves that double as convection ovens.weight tracking machine at home

    ReplyDelete

I Like Thursday #228

Welcome to I Like Thursday! A bunch of us bloggers like to write happy and uplifting posts on a weekly basis. Please visit  LeeAnna  to link...