Tuesday, April 22, 2014

No More Pins!!



 
I think I'm very late to spray basting but I joined in today! I was always a hand quilter so I used to baste my 3 layers together. When I began to machine quilt, I always used pins to hold my quilt sandwich together. I had heard about spray basting but always associated negative things with the spray. I heard it had an awful odor and should be used in a well ventilated area. I also heard it was hard to control and lots of spray would end up all over the room.

Lately, I read that the spray was now odorless and much easier to use. I had a quilt all ready to baste/sandwich and I also had some spray!


I happened to receive this spray as a Christmas gift from a friend. (Thanks, Maryrose!) I thought this would be the perfect time to try it out.


Here's my batting that was just sprayed down onto the backing. I still laid down my backing, right side down, and taped it nice and taut to the floor. I then put the batting over it. The can said to spray the batting, not the fabric.  I folded the batting in half, sprayed the batting and then smoothed it over the backing. I repeated this for the other half. It seemed to adhere very nicely.

I repeated the same procedure for the top but I had the top right side up! I ended up with a very nice quilt sandwich minus the pins! I'm hoping it quilts nicely and nothing puckers. I don't usually have problems with puckers but you never know!

Just in case you're curious, here's the backing.

 
I bought this on sale from eQuilter. It was such a great price! Something about this fabric reminded of the charm packs I used for the quilt top. It will be a pleasure to be able to quilt and not have to remove pins as I sew along. I can't wait to start quilting!
 

14 comments:

  1. Never tried spray basting, but it sure seem a lot easier. I hope you have good luck quilting with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much faster than pin basting. I'm really hoping it works out. Basting has never been much fun!

      Delete
  2. I'm a recent convert to spray basting as well, but must admit I still pop a few pins in too, just to be sure! Your quilt looks fab, have fun quilting it.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you said you put in a few pins. I was thinking of doing the same thing! It must be tough to abandon those pins completely! Haha!

      Delete
  3. I have used .. and loved it for a while x I do find some fabrics are better than others .. just trial and error xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it goes well. It was so much faster and I'm going to love not having to remove those pins! I'll let you know how it goes!

      Delete
  4. Intersting! I have never tried this, but have a friend who uses the spray for smaller projects eg table runners, etc. Maybe I should have a play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends who swear by this spray. I'm hoping it works as well for me! I'll write a post after I finish quilting.

      Delete
  5. I have also been wondering about this. Friend of mine uses it for runners and Lap sized quilts. Could you please let us know how this goes? I might have to look at this as my knees and back are giving me heaps of trouble when basting with pins on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely blog about how the spray works. I may add a few pins while quilting just to make myself feel better since it's my first time using the spray. I'm so hoping it works well. So much nicer for my back and knees too!!

      Delete
  6. How lucky Rosemary. 505 is the best, but difficult to find and expensive in Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard this spray is the best from a few other people! Really hoping it works out! So much easier.

      Delete
  7. Ps. I never baste on the floor. Basting on a table really saves your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you stretch the backing over the table? I really have to figure out how to make basting even easier. I never look forward to any type of basting!

      Delete

Quilting State Fair Sampler

 I'm ready to quilt my son and future daughter-in-law's quilt. It's so big that I loaded it in 2 steps. This is how it looks aft...