Tuesday, May 27, 2014

New FMQ Project



I started my newest free motion project yesterday. After looking through books and online websites, I decided to free motion scrolls in the "ribbons" and little clamshells in the white background. I got the idea from Natalia Bonner's book Beginner's Guide to Free Motion Quilting. I'm using the same variegated Superior thread I used on my last quilt. The light variegated pastels makes it easy to blend on many of the fabrics used in this quilt. As you can see in the photo, I used the 505 Spray again to keep the 3 layers together.  I really love this spray. I don't get puckers and the layers stay together very nicely. And it's fast! It takes less than an hour to get all 3 layers stuck together.
 


Here's a picture of what I've been doing. I'm going nice and slow and am happy with the results so far. It's easy to space out the scrolls easily since I'm using the 2 1/2 inch background squares as guides for placement.


I only get to make 4 scrolls in a row and then I have to change direction. I can't really build up too much speed but I'm going along with the ribbon design.


I think these scrolls will keep me busy for awhile. Too bad I have to work the next 3 days!! So much quilting to do!!

12 comments:

  1. Pretty scrolls, and I love the fabric you picked for the outer border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Em! It will be awhile before I get to those borders. Still have to figure out how to quilt them!

      Delete
  2. Yes, work is so annoying... I like your quilt. It is giving me a whole lot of new ideas. But first I will have to continue on my many WIPs. The quilting idea is great...your scrolling looks perfect. Can't wait to see the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Karin! Thanks! I know all about those pesky WIPs!! I'm sure you'll get them done. I like the scrolling too but I have to make sure I'm going in the right direction. So easy to screw up!!

      Delete
  3. OMG!!! Rosemary it looks wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spray basting, too. Your quilting is gorgeous. I love it when the blocks form the grid and you don't have much marking to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! The less I have to mark, the better!! I like when the quilt pattern makes things easier.

      Delete

I Like Thursday #231

 Welcome to I Like Thursday! Please visit  LeeAnna  to link up with more fun bloggers. I've been diligently working on my son's wedd...