Saturday, July 19, 2014

Border Feathers




I finally did it! I quilted feathers in a border. The border wasn't very wide. It was 4 1/2 inches wide. I didn't think I had the space (or the expertise) to quilt feathers with a curved stem so I decided on a straight stem. I marked the space I wanted to cover and drew the stem exactly in the middle. I sewed the stem first and then followed with feathers on either side. My feathers are not perfect but it was much easier than I expected.


I chose to use Aurifil 50 weight cotton white thread. I wanted to see the feathers but I didn't want a lot of contrast. I was under enough stress trying these feathers. I feel I'm still practicing. Also, my machine loves this thread! I never have any problems when I use Aurifil.


Here's the whole quilt. I just finished the binding. So glad I finished it! It always feels so good to get a project completed! Thanks to everyone who have given me advice on quilting feathers on a border. It helped me out so much!

I'm linking over at Amy's Free Motion Quilting Adventures. She's featuring feathers for the whole month of July. She also has some great advice as well as videos to watch. Hope you go over and take a look!

23 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Your feathers look great! I'm sure that makes you feel wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in case.....I meant doing feathers so well must make you feel wonderful! Being congratulated is nice, but the achievement is even nicer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Dora! I knew what you meant! I have a long way to make feathers as nice as you but it's a start! Thank you so much!!

      Delete
  3. Seems my comment has disappeared...this looks wonderful, so glad you tried it out. Congrats on a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely feathers--beautiful work rosemary! hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made a beautiful job. Practice, practice, practice is the only key.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You're so right about practice. Thanks for visiting my blog!!

      Delete
  6. These feathers are gorgeous. I need to try a straight vine. I love how yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice of you to say! Thanks so much! Try it! So much easier than you think!

      Delete
  7. Your feathers are great! you must be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad I decided to give them a try! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  8. Eeek! I can't believe I missed your posting. You did a fabulous job! So glad you gave them a go! Thanks for linking up and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Amy! Thanks for your encouragement. Not sure I would have tried it otherwise!

      Delete
  9. Your feathers are superb! The little quilt is adorable as well!! And of course congratulations for finishing your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanie! I've missed hearing from you! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  10. beautiful feathers - the perfect border on a very pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So nice to hear! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete

Quilting State Fair Sampler

 I'm ready to quilt my son and future daughter-in-law's quilt. It's so big that I loaded it in 2 steps. This is how it looks aft...