Tuesday, October 28, 2014

My Mom's Request




I finally added all the borders to this old quilt top. It's at least 15 years old. I left it at my mom's house and completely forgot about it. I used Quilt in a Day. Definitely, a long time ago! My mother thought it would be so nice if I finished it for her. We decided on an orange and blue border since the calico has tiny orange flowers all over it. (Remember calico?!) I'm not sure I'm crazy about the color combination but it's done! It's what my mom requested. She loves it and I guess that's all that counts.

 
 I thought it would be nice if I had 9 patches sort of floating all around. I got out my trusty calculator and figured out how long the pieces should be in between the 12" square 9 patches.


 It actually worked up pretty quickly. I made the 9 patches last week. I put the 3 strips together for the border yesterday and today. I was a little scared my math wouldn't work out but it was fine! I'm almost embarrassed to tell you how large it is! My daughter helped me measure it tonight. It's a whopping 105" by 95.5"! It's huge! I'm going to try and find a nice backing on sale somewhere. I think a king sized batting will be fine. I hope I finish this beast in my lifetime! Doesn't it remind you of Halloween even though it's blue and not black?!


6 comments:

  1. Wow! Actually, it reminded me of the Tennessee Vols! Don't you just love seeing how far you've come in 15 years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piecing seems so much easier this time around! I'm looking forward to finishing it and getting back to my own projects!

      Delete
  2. I like what you did with the 9 patches in the border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just trying to imitate some of the elements in the previous border. I'm glad the borders are on and that they actually fit!

      Delete
  3. love the border . it will be nice quilted up. great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like I'm squishing 2 different quilts into one! I think it'll turn out fine! (I hope!)

      Delete

I Like Thursday #228

Welcome to I Like Thursday! A bunch of us bloggers like to write happy and uplifting posts on a weekly basis. Please visit  LeeAnna  to link...