Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Another Project Done!




The monster quilt has been finished and delivered to my mother! She put it on her bed as soon as I gave it to her. I finished it this morning. It was actually still a little damp when I brought it to her house.  It's a little big for her bed but that's okay. She's going to use it like a bedspread and fold her pillows in it.


This binding is the best one I've ever done! It was nice and straight. I really love sewing a 3/8" seam allowance instead of 1/4". It just seems more sturdy somehow.


Here's my label. It's nothing fancy. I just use the letters available on my sewing machine. It's amazing how quickly you forget what year a quilt was finished. I always try to add a label when I finish any project. I've also signed the back and added a date as well.




 Here's a little sneak peek to my next machine quilting project. I was sort of disappointed. The kit for the wall hanging included a backing. When I went to layer it with the batting and quilt top, I found it was way too small to use. I have plenty of other fabric but I thought it was sad that the supplied fabric couldn't be used.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your mom's quilt. She obviously loves it if she put it right onto her bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Em! I loved watching her put on her bed as soon as I gave it to her. So glad I stuck with it!

      Delete
  2. Blue and orange...a winning combination. Looks absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin! It actually looks so good on her bed! She loves it!

      Delete
  3. Your Mom will toasty warn under that lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! She seems to really like it. I'm so glad I made it for her!

      Delete
  4. The quilt is perfect!!! Congrats!!!! I'm surprised about the backing, though. The kits I've encountered either had no backing or a backing I did not care for. Using the 3/8" s.a. gives a more balanced look to the binding on the front....1/4" appears a tad skimpy on the larger projects. I've switched to that myself and am quite pleased, too. Thanks for the great post..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Doreen! I think the 3/8" is so much better too! The backing just wasn't going to work. I was sort of surprised. I'm hoping I can still use the binding fabric they supplied.

      Delete
  5. Love the quilt you made for your Mum, it will certainly keep her warm - congratulations on the finish! I hope the unable-to-be-used backing is extra nice and can find its way into the front of another project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raewyn! I'm so glad my mother loves her quilt! The backing was a very deep blue. I'll be able to use it for something else. (Just added it to the stash!!)

      Delete

I Like Thursday #228

Welcome to I Like Thursday! A bunch of us bloggers like to write happy and uplifting posts on a weekly basis. Please visit  LeeAnna  to link...