Thursday, May 12, 2016

Double Drunkard Path


This is the Double Drunkard Path block I made for Jen Kingwell's quilt, Green Tea and Sweet Beans. I have to make a total of 3 blocks. I love being able to use my scraps. However, I have limited experience sewing curves. The directions were to sew the large piece to the small piece in the middle. Then sew the lower rounded corner onto that piece. 

I didn't see how I was going to sew that tiny half-inch curve between these 2 pieces. I wanted it all to come out nice and even since each piece was going to be joined to other pieces to form this lovely circle. 


So, I did it my way! I made freezer paper patterns for the 2 large pieces. I made off the middle piece didn't exist. I made a new sewing line. I practiced sewing curves. It really wasn't too bad. I pinned the middles together as well as each end. I just tried to ease everything evenly while sewing. 

I then made a freezer paper pattern for that middle piece and used my applique skills to finish the block. It worked! This method proved easier for me. I think if I had more experience sewing curves, I would have been fine with the original directions. It's nice to have alternatives!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh good for you--you did I your way. Very pretty scrappy block...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julierose! My method worked out so much better for me. Sometimes you just have to figure out the best way for you!!

      Delete
  2. I would have been wary of tackling this, you are brave!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept putting it off! It was a bit scared to try it but sort of made myself go ahead with it!

      Delete

I Like Thursday #231

 Welcome to I Like Thursday! Please visit  LeeAnna  to link up with more fun bloggers. I've been diligently working on my son's wedd...